Monday, April 28, 2008

When God Says, "Go Take a Hike"

Miles is working on his next book, and it tremendously exciting to see the process and work that takes place behind closed doors. The theme of the Rock Church is “Do Something” and Miles inspires every day to put their faith into action and step out to transform our communities and society with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I haven’t said anything to him yet, but this is right in line with the book God has put on the hearts of a few people very close to me. The story of my hiking the Appalachian Trail at 17 and trusting in God to carry me through the 2,168-miles of wilderness is exactly what we want people to do. We don’t have all of the answers. We don’t know why we’re supposed to be in certain places or situations but that isn’t our job. Our job is to listen to and obey God.

There are times when others will oppose what you feel God is telling you. That’s normal. But the exciting thing is, others that are in tune with God’s Will, will come out of nowhere and affirm what is being put on your heart. Before I moved to San Diego, I knew God was calling me to go there to work for a Christian leader making an impact on the world through San Diego. In my limited understanding, I thought that meant I was to work for Ken Blanchard (at the time, he was the only person I knew who fit that description).

But when things didn’t come together with the Ken Blanchard Companies and I was presented with an opportunity to connect with a major consulting firm in LA, I turned it down. I didn’t know the details, but I trusted God wanted me to be in San Diego, not LA. Three days later after telling thanking the firm for their interest but turning them down, Miles called me and said he wanted to talk.

The really cool part is that Ken has mentored Miles for a few years now. I have met Ken and talked with him a few times on the phone. Miles will be co-hosting the Lead Like Jesus summit this October in Georgia along with Ken Blanchard (I’ll be going). I’ve been told that working as Miles’ assistant, I have better access to Ken than if I were hired as one of the three-hundred-something employees at the Ken Blanchard Companies.

We don’t know what God has in store. But that’s the cool thing, we don’t have to because He is God and we are not.

No comments: